University of North Texas


How do I apply?

How and when to apply for admission to UNT as an international student

Who can apply as an international student?

An international student is defined as an individual on a temporary visa, who does not have a U.S. permanent resident card (green card), and who is not an undocumented immigrant.

You should apply for admission to UNT as an international student if you are not currently a U.S. citizen, you do not have a U.S. permanent resident card (green card), and you are not an undocumented immigrant.

Are you a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident or undocumented immigrant? Try one of these links: Freshman | Transfer | Graduate

International undergraduate students:

If you are pursuing your first bachelor's degree or transferring from another college in order to complete your first bachelor's degree, to apply for admission to UNT, please complete the online admission application and submit all required documents and payments according to the instructions below.

International graduate students:

If you have already earned a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and are pursuing either a second bachelor’s degree, a graduate certificate, a master’s degree or a doctoral degree, you must apply for admission to UNT through the Toulouse Graduate School. Apply to the Toulouse Graduate School as an international student.

UNT International Student Application Deadlines

To be considered for admission to UNT, we must receive your online application, all required documents and the application fee by the following application deadlines.

Academic Term Application Deadline If You Are Outside The USA Application Deadline If You Are Inside The USA
Summer 1 (May to June) April 1 April 15
Summer 2 (June to July) April 15 May 1
Summer 3 (July to August) May 1 June 1
Fall (August to December) July 15 August 1
Spring (January to May) November 15 December 6

See important dates and schedule for UNT Intensive English Language Institute (IELI).

How to apply

Send all documents and mailed payments to this address:
UNT Undergraduate Admissions
1155 Union Circle, Box 311277
Denton, TX 76203-5017 USA

1. Submit your Admission Application to UNT

All degree-seeking applicants to the University of North Texas must apply online at

Apply online now.

2. Pay the Application Fee

The application fee for International Students (not a U.S. citizen or not a U.S. permanent resident) is $85.

How to Pay

You may pay the application fee by credit card, money order or check. The application fee must be paid in U.S. dollars and is non-refundable.

If paying by credit card, please include credit card information when completing your application for admission or call 1-800-UNT-8211 (1-800-868-8211) to pay by phone.

If paying by money order or check, please mail your payment to us. Please include your name on your money order or check so we can credit the payment to your account.

3. Submit Your Official Academic Credentials

Mail your official school transcripts, diploma and degree certificate from all high schools or colleges attended. These MUST be in both English and your native language. English translations must be from either the academic institution or a certified translator. We DO NOT accept notarized or copied transcripts.

Do not send transcripts, mark sheets, diplomas, certificates or any other academic credential that cannot be duplicated or replaced. ALL DOCUMENTS BECOME THE PROPERTY OF UNT AND WILL NOT BE RETURNED TO YOU.

See specific requirements for submitting required academic credentials.

4. Demonstrate English Language Proficiency

UNT degree program applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency.

Learn more about English language proficiency requirements.

If you cannot provide acceptable proof of English language proficiency, you may qualify for conditional admission to UNT and gain English proficiency through the UNT Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) before beginning academic coursework.

Apply to study English at UNT's Intensive English Language Institute (IELI).

See the Additional Information section below for more information about English language requirements for College of Music admission.

5. Submit Your Passport

Send the pages from your most current passport that list your identification information, including the page with your picture on it.

6. Show Proof that You or Your Sponsor Can Pay for Your Studies

You or your sponsor (anyone paying for your studies besides yourself) must prove that there will be sufficient funding available to pay for your educational, living and other expenses by completing the International Student Statement of Finances form and providing evidence of funding, such as a bank statement or scholarship letter. Page 2 of the form lists what documents we accept and how much money must be shown. If you will be attending UNT on an F or J visa, you must complete this form before we can issue your I-20.

If you hold a qualifying visa and have lived in Texas for 12 months, see additional information about qualifying for the in-state, resident tuition rate.

7. Check Academic Department Requirements & Deadlines

Acceptance to UNT does not guarantee acceptance into the major of your choice. Check with your academic department for other requirements and deadlines. Departmental applications, test scores, references, auditions, and other items may be required by a different deadline.

Additional Information

Attention students currently attending a school in the United States on a F-1 visa who want to transfer to UNT:

First, you must be admitted to a UNT program. After you are admitted to a UNT program, please contact your immigration advisor at your current school about transferring your immigration record to UNT.

Attention undergraduate students applying to both IELI and UNT:

Be aware that the College of Music will not evaluate an applicant’s file until the student passes the music audition and until they demonstrate English Language Proficiency (ELP). Qualified students applying for IELI and the College of Music will receive an IELI only admission letter and I-20 (if needed) for the above-mentioned program. After completing IELI, the student must apply to UNT, and the application’s acceptance depends on the student passing a College of Music audition and meeting other University requirements. For most other majors not listed above, a review for conditional admission is possible.