Applicants with GED

Who can apply to UNT with a GED instead of a diploma from an accredited high school

Students who have earned a GED (and who either have not attended college or, if so, have earned fewer than 30 semester hours of transferable college work) may seek admission to UNT through an Individual Review process.

How to apply for admission to UNT with a GED

GED applicants are asked to present a transcript of any high school course work, their SAT or ACT results, and transcripts of any college work they may have completed to date.

Freshman applicants who have completed some college course work must meet a minimum college grade-point-average requirement of 2.5 on a 4-point scale.

Students should submit the following items to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions:

  • Application for admission (available online at
  • The application fee
  • Official SAT or ACT scores, or an Adult Admission Program Request Form* to request a waiver of the test requirement if one of these tests has not been taken
    * You may need to download Acrobat Reader to view this .pdf file.
  • Official transcripts of any completed high school courses
  • Official transcript of GED scores
  • Official transcripts from any colleges or universities attended

Other requirements may include, but are not limited to, letters of recommendation, a personal statement/essay, and an interview with admissions staff.

Contact a UNT Admissions Counselor for more information.